How to plan a budget trip to Agra, Mathura on weekend
Based on my travel experience to Agra and Mathura from Delhi, I am sharing the detailed itinerary of the trip which may suit everyone. The distance from Delhi to Agra Is 233 km the journey duration is 3 hrs. There are 75 trains available on this route and also you can use roadways to reach there.
An ideal itinerary for Agra and Mathura
Try to reach Agra in the morning book the hotel near the Taj Mahal. If not booked online you can easily get a budget hotel nearby Taj Mahal around rs. 500. Hostels and dormitories are also available for the solo traveler.
Day -1 ( Things to do in Agra)
Taj Mahal – visit Tajmahal in the morning. It will be less crowded and entry lines will be small as a result you can spend more time.
- Every Friday Tajmahal is closed.
- The Tajmahal ticket price for Indian is Rs.50 and for foreigners it is Rs.1100
- For the citizens of SAARC and BIMSTEC countries, the price is Rs. 540
For the next destinations in Agra, the most convenient way is to rent a bike or cab. If you are a budget tourist you can also use public transportation.
Buland Darwaza – located at Fatehpur Sikri, one of the most popular destinations near Agra. It is indeed the highest gateway in the world and an impressive example of Mughal architecture.
Note– There is no entry ticket for this place and can be visited daily.
Jodha Mahal – Walkable distance from Buland Darwaza is Jodha bai palace or Jodha Mahal. It is undoubtedly the best place to visit in Agra.
Note– The ticket price for the Jodha Mahal is rs. 50 and for foreigners, the ticket is around rs. 600.
- If you are not tired and time precedes you can also visit Agra fort. The tickets for Agra fort is also rs. 50 and for foreigners, it is around rs.600.
- To get the detailed pricing and Information of all the monuments in Agra you can visit site https://www.tajmahal.gov.in/ticketing1.html
- when you come back to the hotel at night you can find good cafes near taj mahal to chill out.
Leave for Mathura on the next day take roadways(upsrtc) to reach there.
The distance from Agra to Mathura is approx.. 57 km. Reach Mathura and go to Vrindavan ( most important place of pilgrimage for devotees of Lord Krishna). The distance from Mathura to Vrindavan is around 25 km and there is easy transportation available to reach Vrindavan. You can easily get local buses, for every half an hour and many taxi’s.
Travel around in Vrindavan through walking to enjoy and feel the spiritual vibes of Vrindavan city.
The famous places in Vrindavan to visit are the Prem Mandir, ISKCON temple and Banke Bihari temple.
On the same day, you can leave for Delhi directly from Mathura.